Possible temp gauge solution

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Possible temp gauge solution
From: Brian Moss <blmoss@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 10:24:48 -0400 (EDT)
Listers,

While looking around the web for something else, I stumbled upon what looks
like a decent solution to the old temperature gauge accuracy issue. Moon
Eyes gauges are being made again (still being made?), and one is a
direct-mount temp gauge.  It's meant to be screwed directly into the fitting
for the temp sender.  My setup has one sender fitting in the manifold and
one in the thermostat housing, so I can use the Moon gauge and the temp
sender simultaneously.

I've ordered a gauge, and will test it for accuracy when it arrives.  If
it's accurate, life is good.  I was thinking of buying an infrared heat
sensor to calibrate my Smith's gauge, but at $49.95, this is cheaper, and
always at hand.  I realize that I'll be working with data from different
sides of the thermostat, but similar issues apply to using the heat sensor
as well.

A note of caution: there may be an interference issue with the thermostat if
the gauge is used in the housing, but it can still be mounted in the
manifold.  I'll report back on the interference and accuracy issues if
there's interest.

The link to the website:

http://www.so-calspeedshop.com/catalog/parts/pinfo/cooling-fuel/moondirect.html

Brian