RE: Synthetic Oil

To: <wiseowl1@pacbell.net>
Subject: RE: Synthetic Oil
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 17:04:03 -0700
Michael,

I'm gratified that at least a couple of us (you and me) have taken the time
to look deeper into this question. I have certainly learned a lot from
reading the various postings on the Internet, some of which I copied to the
Tiger List. I think it's just natural for all of us, once we start using
some brand and find that it works well, to develop a loyalty that makes us
lose our objectivity; I know that I do. As a consequence, I will probably
keep on using Castrol Syntec in spite of its somewhat dubious pedigree, the
rationale being that in all the legitimate test results I have seen show
that it ranks near the top, ahead of for example Mobile 1. Even the Amsoil
tests show Syntec as next in line to theirs as the best. Personally, I
wouldn't hesitate to use any of the major brands of "full synthetic": Mobil
1, Red Line, Amsoil, or Eon. Whatever you use though, just trust it as it
comes out of the can and don't try to "improve" it with expensive additives.

Happy motoring,

Bob