Re: exhaust

To: Jim Boynton <jimboynton@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: exhaust
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.RR.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 16:31:20 -0800
Jim Boynton wrote:

> I don't know what the former owner put on the Tiger(in my youth they were
> called "cherry bombs" or "glass packs") but when I bring the car out of
> storage I'll go broke on tickets. My mechanic looked the other way for the
> fall since I would only have it on the road for a couple of months. They
> sound great at idle but god awful loud any other time. I remember someone on
> the list installed flowmasters I believe. I want the cool sound the dual
> exhaust make...just a little less of it. Any suggestions.

Jim,

The "Cherry Bombs" were popular in the 50's-60's, and were cylindrical
straight through glass packs. the glass fibers blow out in about 10,000
miles, and then it's a straight pipe with holes in it, and loud. You
could get away with it on a 1.5 L engine, and an easy foot, but----

The Flowmasters are also loud. They make a new 50 series with extra
chambers that are supposed to bring the noise level down to barely
tolerable, but I haven't heard them. Of course, this is a matter of
taste, and sensitivity to continuous drone, so that's why there are so
many choices.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman        < Find out what is most    >
B9472289              < important in your life     >

                          _/
                     _/_/_/