Re: Fake tiger on Hemmings

To: "Theo Smit" <tsmit@shaw.ca>, "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Subject: Re: Fake tiger on Hemmings
From: "Dieter Schmied" <dieter@one.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 23:37:04 -0800
I had a Tiger that was totaled. I kept the wreck and then bought an Alpine.
I transferred the parts needed to make the Alpine into a Tiger or I could
take the position that I repaired the wreck by replacing the broken body
which produces a better job that trying to duplicate the original building
process on a frameless car or straightening a frameless automobile.

The intent was never to defraud anyone. In fact, repairing a frameless car
and passing it off as unwrecked, which is more common than not, is a more
common fraud. As another matter of fact, when I put so much time into a car,
I generally don't want to get rid of it. I have a half dozen cars that I
rebuilt that I have had for more than twenty years.

I don't mind that collectors demand originality, but I can't always get so
excited over extreme total originality. but it is good that others do if for
no other reason than to promote classic car interest.