Re: Tiger wheel mounting.

To: Kathy and Erich Coiner <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Tiger wheel mounting.
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 21:55:57 -0700
The factory steel wheels use hub-centric mounting and acorn nuts that will also
help to locate the wheel on the studs correctly. Kind of a belt-and-suspenders
thing.
LAT-70 wheels don't have the correct diameter centers to center on the hub, and
use shank-lug nuts, which also aren't necessarily the right diameter to fit
snugly in the
holes in the wheels (at least, mine aren't). So there is lots of opportunity to
mount the wheels cockeyed.

The way I mount my wheels is to use two taper lug nuts on opposite studs to
center the wheel on the studs, then put the shank nuts on the two remaining
studs and torque them up. Then remove the taper lug nuts, replace with the
proper shank nuts, and torque them up too. This gives me reliable vibration-free
mounting, but it is a pain. I keep thinking about having the wheels machined for
taper nut seat inserts - has anyone done this on LAT-70's?

Theo

Kathy and Erich Coiner wrote:
<snip>