Re: Tiger wheel mounting.

To: Kathy and Erich Coiner <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Tiger wheel mounting.
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 17:10:25 -0700
Kathy and Erich Coiner wrote:

> Ahem, I have a theory.....  a theory which is mine......
>
> The difference between theory and practice is..........
>
> In theory there is no difference, in practice there always is.
>
> Erich

Erich,

An astute, and probably accurate, assessment.

The problem is, we really have little choice in the matter, as far as
our Tigers are concerned.

A recently uncovered, and soon to be released, price list for Rootes
(England) Factory Performance Tuning (Stage I, Stage II, etc.) provides
the prices and specifications for factory performance enhancement of
Tigers by the Rootes Group COMPETITION DEPARTMENT.

They specifically discuss the subject of wheels for vehicles used in
performance applications, such as racing and rallies, and a quote from
their options list:

"It cannot be too strongly emphasized that the
standard steel wheels are only suitable for
road use, and it will be necessary to fit
magnesium alloy wheels if the car is to be
used for any form of competition. There will
be an added charge for balancing."

I believe they used Minilites, as can be observed in the period race and
rally pictures, which I believe are NOT hub centric, but are acceptable
for racing at highest speed, over awful roads.

Maybe the statement that hub centering is better is totally accurate,
but does little if the wheel comes apart.  I recall the Triumph TR2
wheels coming off in their first races, and special reinforcement plates
were mandated for racing. Coming apart on the street was the owner's problem.

All-in-all, it seems that your statement is again accurate, in a
slightly different way.

1) Theory says hub centric is a preferable method.

2) Practice says you better use the stronger wheel, and the bolt
concentricity is good enough.

Stay tuned for release of Factory Performance Tuning, installed at the
Factory! One of many new releases on TigersUnited.com

--
Steve Laifman