Magnesium

Subject: Magnesium
From: sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 19:57:21 -0700
Hi all:
Sorry to bomb the list, but I wondered if anyone knows of someone in the
San Diego area who can weld magnesium?

I've got a set of what I believe to be "alumags".  One wheel has a small
crack that I'd like to get taken care of, BUT I gather that once
magnesium starts burning, it can't be smothered as it creates it's own
oxygen.  I'm not a metallurgist, so I can't speak to the veracity of the
previous statement--I just want someone to weld the thing (if it's even
do-able).

Also, I have heard that Magnesium becomes brittle with age.  These
wheels are about 35 years old.  Is there a testing process that can
establish whether the metal has become brittle (rather than putting them
on the car and flogging it 'round the corners to see if anything
breaks--rather not do it that way)?

Thanks in advance

David Sosna
'66 Tiguar