Re: Magnesium

To: sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net
Subject: Re: Magnesium
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 20:11:00 -0700
David,

Magnesium is an element, all by itself. It is not a mixture (although
wheel alloys may be) and does not contain oxygen. BUT the air does.
Magnesium, heated to the proper temperature, burns ferociously. It is
used in flares, fireworks, and incendiary bombs.

I would not recommend you be anywhere around if someone is putting a
torch to it.

Yes, it does become brittle with age, and is not allowed to be used by
the race sanctioning bodies after they get old. Your 35 year old ones
are most certainly not allowed.  I would be careful even in street use,
in case of an impact or high stress pot hole.

Maybe a polish job and mounting on a wall plaque?

Steve
--
Steve Laifman