RE: Solve the Problem

To: "Larry Blackman" <lb7777@wcrtc.net>, "tigers"
Subject: RE: Solve the Problem
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 19:32:20 -0700
Larry, Listers,

There is one little question I still have and that is, why did the problem
get steadily worse? You don't say explicitly Larry, but I presume when you
timed it, it was 38 degrees advanced. The direction the distributor shaft
rotates would tend to retard the spark if the clamping nut was loose. Also,
I presume that you moved it while working on the starter, probably when you
removed the right side wires. It seems to me that the timing should, if
anything, have tended toward retard again, which would have made the problem
get better, not worse. I'm thinking what really happened is that running so
far advanced did some damage, maybe not all that serious, but enough to make
the symptoms worse.

Bob Palmer
rpalmer@ucsd.edu
rpalmer@brobeck.com