Re: If its not one thing its another!

To: "Roland Dudley" <cobra@scs.agilent.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: If its not one thing its another!
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 13:37:14 -0800
Roland,
Thanks for the Info. Smitty tells me the same thing.  He says Alpine slave
don't have the retaining ring either.  The slave cylinder from SS does not
include a push rod assy at all.
The root cause of my failure is now fully understood.  The slave cylinder
bracket in my car is a poorly done homemade POS.  The hole for the slave
cylinder was cut with the blue wrench (acetylene torch). The bracket it a
piece of 3/8 inch thick hot rolled steel. The hole for the lower bell
housing bolt is in the wrong place, so there is a hole weakening the
critical area.  They welded on a half circle of extra material to put the
bolt in the correct location.  Needless to say, the bracket cracked between
the welded area and the extra hole.  The bent bracket allowed the slave
cylinder to hyper extend.

Does anyone know how long the slave cylinder push rod should be?  If it is
too short the piston comes out of the cylinder too far.  If it is too long,
the piston will not be able to retract far enough as the clutch plate wears.
This would keep the throwout bearing rubbing and lead to short life or a
slipping clutch.

Given the rube goldberg bracket, I don't trust that mine is setup correctly.
I was able to purchase a correct bracket from Smitty.  As soon as I rebuild
the M/C I will put it all back together.

Erich