Re: Fresh Air Induction

To: "Ronak, TP (Timothy)" <Timothy.Ronak@AkzoNobel.com>
Subject: Re: Fresh Air Induction
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 19:43:22 -0700
Tim is closer.

The pitot tube is NOT meant to increase performance, it is a gauge. The
probe has an axial hole on the end of the familiar tube, and a radial
hole near the back.  These holes sense the static air pressure on the
radial side hole, and the dynamic velocity pressure in the forward
pointing hole.  Both holes are actually closed from any flow.  The
difference between the sensed pressure is a measure of air speed, which
can be calibrated with air density (altitude) and temperature to give a
speed reading.

Steve

--

Steve Laifman