Re: Need some Info Please

To: Jen/Scott <jsloan798@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Need some Info Please
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:18:36 -0800
Scott,

The DANA 44 was offered as a LAT 34 option.  This was the US made DANA,
and as such did not have the ring gear attach bolt diameter that would
fit the Salisbury stock 2.88:1 stock gear.  Other LAT offerings were
Ford rear end ratios of 3.07:1 , 3.31:1, 3.54:1, and 3.73:1 (LAT # 50 -
54, respectively) which had the smaller carrier bolt threads.

The English made DANA 44, by Salisbury (a Division of DANA) was used by
early Jaguar's (Mk II, I believe) and DID have the correct carrier holes
for the larger bolts on the stock 2.88:1 gears.  Step-down bolts are
available to use this LSD with US gears, so you have more choices here.
The 2.88:1 is perfect for the tires you can get on the Tiger, and the
1:1 4th gear in the Top Loader.  The problem, with most users, is the
high ratios chosen for first gear, giving a speed of 60 mph in first.
Couldn't pull a wet gumdrop out of a baby's mouth, much less spin
rubber, with that gear.  The Mk II Tiger had the wide ratio Top loader
that distributed the ratios evenly between the gears, and had a much
more reasonable 40 mph first gear.  This allowed you to waste as much
rubber as you wanted in take-off, or get there faster with proper
usage.  It also maintained a nice 72 mph at 3,000 rpm in top gear.
Something that is a large problem with the higher numerical rear end
gears, and makes it a high-revver at normal freeway speeds.  This pushes
many into a 5th gear conversion, ending up with a 0.63 top gear that is
low revving, but no power.  A rare 0.8 fifth was sometimes found on
American Motors versions of the T-5.

It does not sound like the rear end was from a Chevelle, which did not
have disc rear ends, and DID have parking (not really "emergency") brakes.

Sounds like the lash up may be difficult to correct until it is identified.

All the above information is posted on http://www.TigersUnited.com and
can be found in the LAT options section, and can be found numerous
places, including "Online Resources" for suppliers/repairers.  The use
of the "SEARCH" feature for "limited slip" (hot link in top black bar),
and a second search "within results" for (pull down) "exact phrase" will
get you a decent set of discourses.

Good luck,

Steve

--