Re: carroll shelby & Tigers

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: carroll shelby & Tigers
From: Stephen Waybright <gswaybright@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:11:05 -0800 (PST)
Before we diminish the roll Shelby had in creating (as opposed to
engineering) the Tiger by comparison with the Cobra, I'll toss out a
question about what we think George Boskoff and his fellow Shelby
employees did prior to the Tiger project. I'd guess it was Cobra
development. I may be wrong, but I don't recall ever reading that
Shelby was actually an acredited engineer himself, as much as a racer
and hot rodder. I'd even go out on a limb to suggest that real
engineernig (from my perspective as an automotive BSME from Purdue
University) didn't really take hold at Shelby automotive until the 427
program was underway.

Does anyone have info on how much of the Cobra was simply Shelby
inspiration and vision in guiding his employees, as opposed to hands-on
tinkering himself??? Possibly not as far off from the Tiger experience
as common perception would have it, since he was likely focused on the
business/Promotional issues.

Just a thought,
Stephen Waybright