Restoring a Car or other Vehicle

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "'Alpine's Peak'" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Restoring a Car or other Vehicle
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:51:55 -0800
I was just looking at the Au Tiger for sale on ebay and something caught my
eye, well more than one, I guess. And no I am ot going to pick on this car
because I do not know of its provenance. However, what exactly does "fully
restored" mean? For any vehicle. Would a  J Duesenberg be fully restored if
it had a more modern engine in it? This car has a 289 so my question is how
can any car with an improper engine be called fully restored? As far as I
know no MI came with 289s but maybe they did.  Is it ok if the replacement
part just looks the same or does it have to be the same? It also has leather
seats. Did any come with leather seats? Then how can it be fully restored?
Oh, my Mark I has those metal boot covers not the nice vinyl cover over the
drop top. So is that restored or is there another term I am missing? I do
not ever remember seeing a vin tag like the one shown either, but in AU is
that the one they came with? Certaily my MArk I tags looks really really
differnt but mine is US. Still begging the question, what constitutes a
restored car, bike, truck, train what have you. Better than original? Then
how can the be a "restoration"? Reconditioned? Certaily.

Could a car have it's original lug nuts reconditioned and everythign else
reconditioned and be fully restored? Where is the line on restoration? Does
it have to be original to be restored? Me, I would think so, but, I am a
noob at anything resembling restoration or the circles that restored cars
run in.

By the way, the car looks nice.

Curious as to what other think on "restoration" and what it means.

mayf ou tin Pahrump