Re: Restoring a Car or other Vehicle

To: gswaybright@yahoo.com, drmayf@teknett.com, tigers@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Restoring a Car or other Vehicle
From: "Paul R. Breuhan" <prbreuhan@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:35:12 -0500
Stephen's car to me is a "restification" (restoration/modification) or
resto-mod if you like. It's a super nice car but  deviates from original. I
think certain sacrifices have to be made such as selt belts added or radial
tires verses bias-plys...but once you go in and change things far beyond the
way the car was built or intended to be used then you leave the restoration
world and are into restification.

>From a dictionary...to restore is "to bring back to an original condition"

If you restored an antique piece of funriture, jeweley, Ming vase or even
the Sistine Chapel (by Michael Angelo) you wouldn't put your own "personal"
spin on it.

On the American Hot Rod TV program, Boyd just finished a Corvette but I
certainly wouldn't call his cars restorations even if they are 100 times
nicer than they came from the factory.

To me "restored" is just an over used word either on purpose or out of
ignorance (for lack of a better word) to increase the seller's gains or
car's status. Lots of car on Ebay say "restored" and I think to myself a
dumptruck of Bondo and gallon of house paint don't make the car restored.

Also one of my favorite lines is..."frame-off restoration" when it comes to
unibody cars...I guess if you drilled/chiseled out a unibody structure,
restored it and then rewelded the whole darn thing back together again you
could call it frame-off.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Paul