Regarding the Law

To: barrie@look.ca
Subject: Regarding the Law
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:59:47 -0700
Tigers,

For those who are interested in "replica VIN plates", I thought a
reference to the entire Department of Motor Vehicles codes, and web site
would be handy.

In particular, I quote from just one section:

"Altering or Changing Vehicle Numbers

10750.   (a) No person shall intentionally deface, destroy, or alter the
motor number, other distinguishing number, or identification mark of a
vehicle required or employed for registration purposes without written
authorization from the department, nor shall any person place or stamp
any serial, motor, or other number or mark upon a vehicle, except one
assigned thereto by the department.

(b) This section does not prohibit the restoration by an owner of the
original vehicle identification number when the restoration is
authorized by the department, nor prevent any manufacturer from placing
in the ordinary course of business numbers or marks upon new motor
vehicles or new parts thereof.

Amended Ch. 824, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970."

This is located on: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d04/vc10750.htm
While there "appears" to be an escape clause in paragraph (b), but the
fine print only permits manufacturers from having their way.
Individuals, or any other body, requires "authorization of the
department".   This is NOT a license to commit identity change, but a
method of getting real cars properly accounted for and marked.

There may be some opinion differences, in this country. about what is
required for a "marriage" - but not one that confuses "identity change"
of either people or cars.   ;-)

The entire DMV site (search able) is:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dmv.htm

It is my bet that MOST states licensing and regulating cars where theft
is a crime has similar laws.

Steve

--
___