Re: Regarding the Law

To: "Paul R. Breuhan" <prbreuhan@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Regarding the Law
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:03:31 -0700
Paul,

At first glance it sounded like a decent solution.  On the other hand,
assuming you meant the duplication of the die stamped ID information, as
well as the  silk screened material, would leave a "window" area over
the die stamping area with both the old original being seen underneath,
and the computer printed duplicate on top.

This may be physically difficult to achieve, as I have found that the
VIN sometimes starts in the silk screen area.  On top of that, assuming
perfect original alignment, the printed plate numbers would lay on top
of the original, and both would be hard to read.

 From a practical matter, your choices of printing material is limited
to the powdered/fused Xerographic printer B&W, or the pigment or dye of
an ink jet.  These printing materials, unless it is done on the
"adhesive" side (very "sticky" job for a printer ;-) ),  are not meant
to be "archival", and will not stay for long.  On top of that, it is
probably illegal.  However, covering the original with a clear adhesive
film, after cleaning as best as can be done, can protect it from further
damage, and be replaceable - if you are careful not to bend the plate -
if needs be.

At least it would be obvious you are just protecting the original, and
not trying to modify it, and a hair drier can allow removal, if you
shield the surrounding paint.

Just an idea.

Steve

--