Re: Gas smell, manual PLUS Thanks again to Rick McLeod

To: fastsage@cox.net, dadaruso@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: Gas smell, manual PLUS Thanks again to Rick McLeod
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:35:53 EDT
Steve and all,
I've had both gas and exhaust smell since I've had the car.  I've had the
fuel tanks out, replaced the gasket on the fuel level sender, replaced the
equalizing pipe that connects the tanks at the top, replaced the connecting
pipe at
the bottom and replaced gas cap to tank  pipe....I still get a smell if I put
in over 8-9 gallons.  It seems then that the problem must be at the top of the
tank in my situation.  I almost never have the top up so it hasn't been a
problem that I've had to jump back into....I just don't fill the tanks over
2/3rds.

On the exhaust...I've tried to seal the space between the trunk and the
passenger space, but I still get fumes.  I have a new trunk seal to put on and
hope that does something to solve the problem.
Mark L