Re: Gas smell, manual PLUS Thanks again to Rick McLeod

To: Theo Smit <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Subject: Re: Gas smell, manual PLUS Thanks again to Rick McLeod
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:31:41 -0700
Theo Smit wrote:

>Tom Hall also mentioned at some point that there is a ventilation (?) hole
>or sheetmetal gap on each side of the car, from under the rear-seat shelf to
>the rear quarterpanel area (in front of the rear wheels). If this is open,
>then you can definitely suck all kinds of nasty fumes
>in...........................

Good reminder. Tom had mentioned this to me in the past and I  haven't
done anyting with that. I'm getting under the car today to check that
out in detail.

That being said, when I had my new Series V Alpine for 10 years and a
couple of other soft boot Alpines back then, I never had a fume problem.
My last Series V Alpine, a few years ago, did in fact have the problem
even though I went through all the usual "fixes"....replacing the
crossover tube, making sure all the hoses in the trunk were tight and
sealed, etc. It wasn't quite as bad as my current Tiger, but still
pretty noticable. I wonder if there's some "obvious" issue we're missing
that brings this problem on.

Steve Sage