Re: Gas smell, manual PLUS Thanks again to Rick McLeod

To: Jeffrey Holt <dadaruso@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Gas smell, manual PLUS Thanks again to Rick McLeod
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 05:59:36 -0700
Jeffrey Holt wrote:

>Also, the cork around the gas cap seems to be old. Does it need to seal tight?
>Meaning does it need to be pressurized?

Jeff:
A very interesting issue to me. I've been fighting the fume problem for
a long time. If the Tiger is moving at all, with the windows open, (it's
worse with the windows only partially opened), I get either fuel or
exhaust smell (hard to tell which is which), or a combination of those
smells, immediately sucked into the passenger compartment.

A summer or two ago, noticing that the fuel cap definitely was
pressurized, I had cut a small notch into the fuel cap gasket to relieve
the pressurization, thinking that may help with the fumes issue. Now I
wonder if the fuel system is indeed supposed to be pressurized, and if
it's not it makes the fumes worse somehow.

In light of that, I just installed a new, intact filler cap gasket so I
should be able to give a report later today if this helps with the smell
at all, with the system pressurized again.

Finally, in that effort to adjust my trunk to get it to seal better to
maybe help eliminate some of the fumes (it seems to be somewhat bent on
one corner, so I haven't been able to get an airtight seal yet), I
ruined the threads in one of my trunk hinges on Thursday. I called Rick
at Sunbeam Specialties at about 3 PM. Rick went home to his used parts
supply "warehouse", found a used hinge for me, went back to SS, and
shipped it to me UPS overnight. I had the new used hinge back on the car
by 2 PM on Friday. That is amazingly great customer service, which in
fact has been my usual experience with Rick through the years. Thanks
again Rick!!!

Steve Sage