RE: Front crossmember

To: "'Robert Dobrowski'" <rsdslp@juno.com>
Subject: RE: Front crossmember
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.biz>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:51:43 -0400
Robert
        There is a slight, I repeat slight difference between the 2 thread
standards. It has to do with the angle of the thread and the depth of the
thread.  You need a machinist handbook to read all the specs and see the
differences.   I guarantee you that if you run a SAE tap through a UNF nut
you will get a pile of metal shavings.

        Here is an easy way to see the difference; grab any UNF bolt and
find 2 SAE equivalent bolts, hold the SAE bolts together at the threads then
hold them up against a light and look at the thread mesh.  Now do the same
the same with the UNF and SAE threads together, you will see more light
through the threads.   That is the minor difference in the 2 thread
standards.

        Can you use a SAE bolt in a UNF nut - YES.   I'm just pointing out
that if you use a SAE tap to chase a UNF nut the UNF bolt will feel loose.
I don't believe there is any kind of safety issue here or any torque loading
problem.  I simply prefer to chase any UNF thread with a UNF bolt or a UNF
tap and not a SAE tap.

Ron Fraser