rear torque steer problem

To: <owner-tigers@autox.team.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: rear torque steer problem
From: "Thomas Prager" <tcprager@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:08:47 -0500
Dear List,

  I wrote a few weeks ago about a dangerous torque steer problem, that made my
car dart to the right of the road under both acceleration and deceleration.
Many on the list suggested looking at the back of the car and sure enough,
there were cracks at the forward rear leaf spring attachment point on both
sides of the car. I guess with 160 hp the problem is not as noticeable as with
350 hp. I found an article Tom Hall wrote in 1999 showing how to fix this rear
leaf spring attachment area:

http://66.175.58.218/tech/Rear_Spring_Mount_Tip.pdf<http://66.175.58.218/tech
/Rear_Spring_Mount_Tip.pdf>

  I have weld-on traction masters installed and will this have an effect on
the recommended reinforcement?  Also I am interested in buying a Dan Walters
torque arm. Does the torque arm replace the traction masters or will it work
in conjunction? A friend on the Tiger list said under hard braking the torque
arm can make the rear end seem very light. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

tom prager
9472154