Master Cylinders - with or without washers?

To: <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Master Cylinders - with or without washers?
From: <gharlowe@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 14:43:07 -0400
The brake/clutch master cylinders were among the few items still
installed on my car when it went to the body/paint shop.  The shop
removed them and returned them in a box with the bolts reinstalled in
their original locations.  None of the 4 master cyl bolts appeared to
have washers on either side of the firewall, as returned to me.

I am now reinstalling the master cylinders using stainless fasteners.
The "bolt list" shows 2 washers per bolt/nut, but I can't seem to get
the bolts threaded all the way through the nut if I use washers, which I
like to do with bolt-nut combinations.  The stainless bolts (1-1/2" top,
1-3/4" bottom - correct according to the bolt list) are the same length
as the originals.

I see two possibilities:  the original configuration did not use washers
and the bolt list is incorrect (for master cyl specs), or the new paint
job is 3/16" thick.  Can anyone confirm the former?

Cheers,
Graham
B382001466