RE: Oil Pressure

To: "'Randal J. Zimmermann'" <zimme008@umn.edu>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Oil Pressure
From: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:17:39 -0300
Oops! Sorry, I didn't edit my last reply:
Here it is again.

Hi Randy;

I'm interested in the answers you get as my oil pressure doesn't seem to
be up to reasonable pressure after my rebuild either, but its not as bad
as yours. I get about 50 psi on start-up, and then when the motor gets
up to operating pressure it drops to about 35 psi at cruising (3500 rpm)
speed. I'm using 10W30 GTX.

Dave
289 Bored and stroked to 331 cu.in.

>From Randy Zimmerman

Subject: Oil Pressure

I'm trying to get my Tiger on the road before summer's end after a
lengthly
restoration.  I recently started the rebuilt 260 and while it ran
somewhat
well, I didn't want to keep it running because I was only getting about
15
lbs pressure to show on the oil gauge.

I've checked the gauge lines to be sure the connections are tight and
I've
inspected the engine for possible oil leaks but all seem to be tight.
I've
checked and rechecked to be sure the distributor cam is engaged with the
oil pump and all seems to be as it should.  I expect that if the oil
pump
wasn't working I wouldn't see any pressure at all.  I've put in Mobil
One
but I doubt that would effect the pressure.

Any suggestions as to other sources of the problem?  Am I being too
paranoid?  Thanks.

Randy Z.
St. Paul, MN