re: Oil pressure

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Oil pressure
From: "Doug Leithauser" <dleit@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:40:12 -0400
The Mobil One should not limit the oil pressure unless it is a low viscosity
such a 0W-20, if you are running a 5 or 10W-30 I would look elsewhere for
the problem. If your readings are accurate I would suspect the oil pump. The
pump has a pressure relief valve, basically a spring loaded blow off valve,
that will limit the oil pressure and worn pump gears or housing will prevent
the pump from producing it's intended output. If the spring has brokenthe
relief valve will open before it is intended to and keep the pressure low.
My car has a Melling high volume pump that will put out about 65 psi
pressure hot or cold. I had this same pump in my engine before I rebuilt it,
and even with a worn engine the oil pressure was 65 psi above about 1500
rpm. I have to suspect the oil pump in your engine has seen better days.

Happy Motoring!

Doug Leithauser

Got Jesus?...Don't leave Earth without Him!