RE: Oil Pressure

To: "'Randal J. Zimmermann'" <zimme008@umn.edu>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil Pressure
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.biz>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:09:34 -0400
Randy
        Oil pressure is directly related to all engine bearing clearances,
oil pump rotor and internal clearances, and the pressure relief valve.   You
have to look for cracks in the pump housing, clear the pickup screen and
tube and check that the seal between the pickup tube and pump housing is
good.  Also the pick up screen has to have some clearance to the bottom of
the oil pan so it can draw oil.

My 260 has 55 psi cold and drops to about 45 psi hot.  I rebuilt this engine
in 1983.

I believe one rule of thumb is you need 3 to 5 psi per 1000 rpm.   I would
want to see around 40 psi constantly.

Ron Fraser