Re: Paxton in a Tiger

To: BOBCARNUT@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paxton in a Tiger
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 19:10:49 EDT
In a message dated 10/3/2005 4:02:44 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, BOBCARNUT
writes:

With the possibility of repeating myself,  I'll say that when I used the
VS-57 model (variable speed) Paxton's on  my cars, with the boost limited to a
reasonable 4-6lbs. head gasket  problems and engine compartment heat weren't an
issue. There is ample power to  launch you into the back seat when you put your
foot into it, but remember,if  you realized it or not, the variable speed
Paxton's only provided boost when  it was demanded...as when there was wide
open
throttle, for instance. All  other times the blower just "loafs" along not
producing boost or the  accompining heat! Just ask all the Studebaker owners
(of
which I am one) and  the Kaiser owners, and the Ford/T-Bird owners of the '57
era, etc.
Besides, how else can you add 50% horsepower (When needed) without opening
up your engine and not have to put up with the lousey gas milage that  tends to
come with a "hot" or semi-hot  engine?

Which is probably why I ended my post with the comment: "If all I  wanted was
to blast through the gears once in a while, a supercharger would be  fun, but
for how I use my Tiger, it doesn't make sense, to me. YMMV" ;-)

I understand well the appeal of a supercharger, even the antiquated Paxton
blow through set up! Just isn't what I'd want on my Tiger...not even getting
into the weight carried far forward and high!

Hey, if we all liked the same stuff, life would be boring.

Mike