Re: valve covers

To: "Tigerman" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>, "Tiger List"
Subject: Re: valve covers
From: "Mike Michels" <mmichels@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 18:24:17 -0700
Steve, I have the cast covers on a 260. Although it's tight, you can get the
covers on and off. I'm not sure if there is a difference for a 289, but I
doubt it.

The generator/alternator and expansion tank will need to be removed. Access
to the rear valve cover bolts is a bear, as you probably have discovered. I
sawed a 1/4 inch drive 7/16 (I think that's the size) to about half its
length and it worked will through the firewall access hole on the driver's
side. The right side then comes of pretty easy. The #8 cylinder rockers are
the key, and you will need to rotate the crankshaft until the are open, and
then tilt the rocker cover over the rocker arms. It's  a  bit tricky, but it
worked. As a last resort, you would need to disconnect the transmission
mount and lower the rear of the engine, but I found that to be unnecessary.
Good luck.