Re: [Tigers] Obscure Licence Plate Frames (Off Topic)

To: "Alvin Johnson" <twojohnsons@cox.net>, "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Obscure Licence Plate Frames (Off Topic)
From: "Tigerman" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 08:03:17 -0700
I had one of those license plate covers a few years ago, the one I had was
like a distorting polarizing filter that basically allowed you to read one
side of the plate from the left side and the other side from the right, and
if you were dead center you could read the whole thing.  I was never sure if
it was effective (read the mythbuster comments others made) but it cost
about $2, so I wasn't too worried, but my state made them all illegal to
have anything that tried to obscure your license plate.

Most of those automated speeding tickets and automated red light tickets are
about revenue generation, and tend to be much easier to challenge in court.
For instance, in my state, I believe the red light law reads "No part of
your car may enter the intersection after the light turns read"  Which means
if you were fully in the intersection before the light turned red (like
waiting for a left hand turn), and you shouldn't get a ticket for being in
the middle of the intersection when the light turns red.  I believe also in
my state, an automated red light ticket isn't even technically a traffic
ticket since I don't think they are allowed to access points for those
tickets, its legal definition is something closer to a parking ticket.  If
the ticket you got in your state is not a traffic ticket (ie your insurance
won;t go up because of it) and the cost is $60 you are probably better off
just paying it (which is what they hope you will do).  If you want to fight
it, there are several strategies that I read about that are particular for
the automated tickets, including one which is just to never acknowledge
getting the ticket, and never pick up a certified letter from the automation
company if they decide to eventually send one.  Basically at that point,
they would legally have to pay someone to serve you the paperwork, and that
would cost more than the ticket.  I frankly would be too chicken to try that
route.  But here is an org that will rent you the information that will
fight a ticket with ton of information for your state.
http://www.motorists.org/fightticket/

Of course your other option is to build the rolling license plate like one
of the early James Bond cars has :-)
I saw in an interview that the rolling license plate number on the car was
the idea of the director of that film, since he was notorious for getting
speeding tickets and parking tickets around London.

Hope that helps.
Steve