Re: [Tigers] power coating

To: "'Cullen McCann'" <cmccann@lwpb.com>, "'Curt'"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] power coating
From: "Joe Parlanti" <parlanti@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:06:15 -0400
Folks,

I've been powder coating for a long time and have run across this issue many
times. Cast aluminum is the worst offender and the way to prevent it from
happening is to preheat the part at >400 (or whatever the powder cure temp
is specified to be) for an hour or 2, let cool, and then apply powder. I
just finished my '60s vintage aluminum Dunlop wheels with no issues.

On the subject of finish roughness, powder coating is just like paint in
that it will flow-out and reveal imperfections. I have used something
similar to Alumalead which is an aluminum powder based filler with good
results. After a quick search though, I found this product which is made for
powder coating:

http://www.thermobond3.com/

Hope this helps,

JVP