Re: [Tigers] Hood scoop and cooling holes

To: "'Jeffrey Nichols'" <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>, <CoolVT@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Hood scoop and cooling holes
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:38:39 -0400
Jeff
        Careful when you say ram-air affect for the carb.   Ram-air affect
works best when the scoop is sealed to the carb which will eliminate heat
escaping from the engine because of the seal.

I believe most scoops work the way you think they should at highway speeds
and lower but everything changes very quickly, exponentially maybe the
correct term here, as speed increases.

Every car is different but a reversed scoop or any scoop that is not sealed
to the carb can actually ram air past the carb creating a low pressure zone
at the carb inducing a lean condition at high speed and that could grenade
the engine.

I'm no expert about this and I have never experimented with scoops so I have
no real data about this subject .  I'm simply relaying information that
makes sense to me which I have gathered over the years.

NASA took decades to make some scoops work the way they needed.

Ron Fraser