Re: [Tigers] How Hot is Hot?

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] How Hot is Hot?
From: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 13:52:08 -0400
   When  I  was trying to diagnose things when I first had my engine back
   together,  I knew that verifying the temp gauge reading was important.
   One thing I found useful was to take an IR thermometer and point it at
   the  thermostat housing as the engine warmed up.  You can see the temp
   rise  and  then  fall briefly as the thermostat opens.  This will tell
   you  1)  if  the  thermostat  is  working  properly,  2)  if  your  IR
   thermometer  is reading correctly (i.e. its reading is consistent with
   the thermostat rating) and 3) if there is a discrepancy between the IR
   thermometer  and  your  temp gauge.  If your gauge reading is off, you
   should  correct that before doing other stuff.  My gauge was off, so I
   got a mechanical gauge and used that for a while to see what was going
   on as I drove the car.  BTW, I noticed that Dale A. lists a mechanical
   temp  gauge that matches the other Tiger gauges.  On that basis, I did
   some  of  the usual stuff to help the cooling (blocking the horn holes
   and  adding a Derale fan).  As someone else said, air flow is the key.
   Tod
   B382002384LRXFE