Re: [Tigers] oil coolers

To: "Steve Sage" <fastsage@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] oil coolers
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 11:18:35 -0600
Doesn't vapor lock usually occur when the car is parked, or otherwise
moving slowly? The amount of heat the fuel picks up is probably
proportional to the length of fuel line inside the engine compartment.
Running your fuel line from the valence back to the engine is as long a
path as it is from the stock fenderwell entry, and it would likewise
pick up just that much heat. It would probably be better to chrome or
ceramic-coat your fuel line (and the carb float bowl exterior) so as to
give it maximum heat reflection ability. Another option is to run a fuel
return line back to the tank, with a pressure regulator, and that way
you keep the fuel circulating and it gets cooled when it gets dumped
back in the tank.

The other side of that coin is heating the fuel tank increases the
evaporative emissions if the fuel tank cap isn't well sealed. Newer cars
have gone back to a returnless fuel system in order to minimize this
effect.

Theo