Re: [Tigers] oil coolers

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] oil coolers
From: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 18:37:49 -0400
   Long  ago, back in the seventies, I had the opportunity to buy a Tiger
   II  that  a guy had rolled.  I parted the car out (I know, I know) but
   kept  some  of  the  parts  for  spares, etc.  The Tiger II had an oil
   cooler standard from the factory and I decided to mount it on my Tiger
   (a  MkIA) as it was just a bolt-on operation.  I had the oil cooler on
   the  car  for  many years, but never really noticed any improvement as
   far  as  cooling  was  concerned.   As someone else said, it may be an
   advantage  when  the  car is raced or driven hard, but I never noticed
   any  change.   I think that part of the problem is that the oil cooler
   is  mounted  in  front  of the main radiator and, as a result, has two
   negative  effects  which  are  related to one another.  First, the oil
   cooler  blocks  the flow of cool, outside air to the main radiator and
   secondly, what air does eventually make its way through the oil cooler
   to  the coolant radiator has had its temperature raised.  As a result,
   you  have  a  couple  of  competing  effects taking place with the net
   result  being  not  much change.  When I restored my Tiger, I took the
   oil  cooler  off  and  have  been happy with the result.  Of course, I
   don't  have  to  deal with too many really hot days hereabouts and the
   engine  oils  available today are a lot better in many ways than those
   available  when the Tiger was new.   I sold the oil cooler on eBay for
   more  than  I  paid  for  the wrecked Tiger II.  I suspect that if you
   could  find  a place for the oil cooler where it was in the normal air
   stream  but  not  blocking  the  coolant  radiator,  it  might  be  an
   improvement.