Re: [Tigers] fulcrum pins

To: AAAGLASSS@aol.com, Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] fulcrum pins
From: <sralsten@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 21:58:36 -0500
Tom...

Glad you chimed in here. I recently read something you wrote
in 2001 regarding this. You mentioned a type pin turned on
a lathe which was not only a poor choice, but a dangerous replacement.
You alos mentioned other designs by Jennings and Akuzewski
that in your opinion were good choices. Do you still feel that
way ? I am fairly close to Dale so asking him to sell pins
or do a replacement would not be a big problem.

In my case I have no idea what is in the car and when or if they were ever
replaced.
My wheels are 13" and my engine is stock so the stress on the system
is not as great as some cars. One part of your last post I don't understand is

"The failures
also range from those resulting from backing into a parking space
(the worst possible loading short of an accident) to those that have
occurred on the highway at speed with disastrous results."

Could you explain any further on why backing into a parking space
is stressful ? I don't do that often but I do back down a driveway
with wheel in sharp turn just as I hit the ramp from sidewalk to
street level. This gives a sharp yank to the steering if I am
being lazy and not holding firmly to the wheel.

Steve R
B9473720