[Tigers] Getting really stinking old....voltage regulator again

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Getting really stinking old....voltage regulator again
From: "Samouce's" <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 07:15:28 -0500
If you all recall, I had lots of problems with my charging system on my
recent trip to Texas.  I replaced two voltage regulators and sourced and
rebuilt a generator which failed instantly.

The third voltage regulator worked well with the original generator, until
yesterday.

Here is what is going on.  I turned off the ignition and the amp meter
buried off the scale in the - and the ignition light came on. This is with
the key out of the switch. I quickly turned the ignition back on and started
the engine; amp meter came back to normal range.  Now when I run the car,
the amp meter is indicating an over charge from the generator which is
obviously cause by the voltage regulator.

This is exactly what happened a couple of months ago before the voltage
regulator stopped working.  Could a corroded engine ground strap be causing
this?

I am thinking of going with the solid state voltage regulator to see if that
fixes this ongoing problem.  I do not what to convert to an alternator at
this time.

Any thoughts?

Duke
B382002037