Re: [Tigers] Getting really stinking old....voltage regulator again

To: "'Samouce's'" <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Getting really stinking old....voltage regulator again
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 09:17:46 -0400
Duke
        I had many problems with my generator charging system until I
converted to an alternator system.
Mostly the points in the voltage regulator would get crapped up and stop
working.   I had to run with the cover off the voltage regulator because for
what ever reason the system would only work for a briefly with it on.   I
also needed the cover off so I could regularly clean and clear the points.
I never truly figured out what was wrong in my system.

        You should check and clean all the connections from the battery to
the starter and all the ground wire at the battery and engine strap.  The
metal plate on the back of the generator has to be bare metal; therefore all
the bolt holes for the generator bracket in the block need to be bare for
the ground path.  Check all the connections on the smaller wires at the
regulator and generator for problems.  You should also check the ignition
switch, starter relay and starter motor for any problems.   Something should
be getting near red hot with over 30 amps pouring through it.

Good luck

Ron Fraser