Re: [Tigers] Lotus Designs Extended Range Electric Crate Engine -

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Lotus Designs Extended Range Electric Crate Engine -
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 08:55:36 -0700
Until a cost effective, light weight battery is created, this type of hybrid
sure seems the way to go. The infastructure (gas stations) are there for the
power source.

 I have the powertrain from a Jet Electrica 007
http://www.davisengineering.net/Jet.html .It got it when gas was $4.59 here
in So. Cal..  The project killer is the $2,000 + for lead acid batteries
with a life expectancy of 2 years.  I got the motor, controller, battery
box, in car charger and accessories for $105 from Pick A Part.  The body
shell to put it all in (Earlier Omni/Horizon or VW Rabbit - both used the
same trans) maybe $500-$1,000.  But at this point $3.00 gas in my Mazda 323
is still the better deal - at least for the time being.

Not quite the Lotus design here, but I had thought about a trailer hitch
mounted gas engine with an alternator array for extended range.

"Living on the cutting edge of obsolescence," Tom