Re: [Tigers] 289 heads

To: "'kevin beck'" <kevinteresa.beck74@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 289 heads
From: "A. C. Tynes" <v8tracker@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 21:31:28 -0500
Kevin,

According to George Reid's "High Performance Engine Parts Exchange" there
are number of different head specs for 289's, some with the same size valves
as the 260. Some also had larger combustion chambers than the 260, which
could lower your compression ratio. You would have to know exactly which 289
heads you were going to use to get an idea of the effect on your 260. I
expect that other, more knowledgeable, list members can give you some
suggestions of which 289 heads would be best.

On the other hand, given the improvements in SBF heads over the years and
the cheapness of late 302/5.0L iron heads now, you may want to consider
later "E7TE-PA" Mustang GT heads, the SVO GT40 heads or the GT40P Explorer
heads. The prices, especially for the E7 heads, are really low and the
availability is high. I'll even give you a pair of E7's if you'll pick them
up near New Orleans and buy me a beer.

Of course, the reason that iron heads are so cheap is that aluminum heads
are so plentiful and make so much easy power. That is what I would be using
if not for the cost difference.

HTH,
A. C. Tynes
New Orleans