Re: [Tigers] 289 heads

To: rfraser@bluefrog.com, "'A. C. Tynes'" <v8tracker@gmail.com>, 'kevin
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 289 heads
From: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:41:14 -0300
Gentlemen:

I've been reading with interest all the talk about swapping 289 heads onto
260 blocks to get more H.P. It seems to me the context of use of this power
needs to be discussed.

As I understand it, and generally, do not larger valves and ports provide
the path to more horsepower at higher rpm? seems to me this would be OK if
you are seeking performance gains for drag racing, auto crossing, etc.

But if your goal is to smoke past the doddlers on the h'way without a lot of
sturm und drang, torque at more civilized (lower) rpm is what you need.

So in this case, would just bolting on a set of 289 heads be likely to
provide that mid-range boost that you are looking for?

???

Dave