Re: [Tigers] ID Tag versus Dipping/Stripping

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] ID Tag versus Dipping/Stripping
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 10:21:55 -0800
Kent,
  My understanding is that most of the dip processes are caustic.  And, yes,
that would eat your rivets and plate.  That said there has been a lot of
talk regarding the original rivets on Tigers. I wouldn't place a dollar
amount on it, but they are regarded as desirable.  Will your car pass a TAC
inspection without them? Yes, - if it is a real Tiger.

 Not that I'm a golfer, but if you shot a hole in one and no one was there
to see it, it creates skepticism. In a similar way the lack of original
rivets can create an initial doubt to many people.  In the end, a real Tiger
will still be a real Tiger, but original rivets at least  help to abate the
question mark.

  Most guys won't tell you this, ... but... .  For good or bad typically
when an unknown Tiger shows up a lot of other owners very stealthily observe
the car for originality.  They softly murmur to each other the Tiger
specific parts that are there.  Then they look at each other like, "yea, it
probably is real," then go in search of someone qualified to confirm it.
(OK, guys, don't hide in shame, a lot of us -myself included- do this.) It
is sort of an unofficial "Pre-TAC" inspection.

So, if you can in any way retain the original rivets and plate I would
encourage you to do so. Perhaps there is some coating that can be applied to
protect the area???

Tom