Re: [Tigers] tach help

To: "'michael king'" <michael.s.king@gmail.com>, "'Tiger Talk List
Subject: Re: [Tigers] tach help
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 19:23:49 -0500
Michael
        I don't know about a post 2 weeks ago but here is one the Mike
Michels posted 2  years ago.
Maybe it will help.
Ron Fraser

Hello, List.

SInce joining the Tiger owner ranks I have come to greatly appreciate the
help and expertise from members of the list. I hope the following
information serves to return the favors in a small way.

Since I have an MSD breakerless distributor (but without the multiple
discharge electronics box), I recently had my original style tach rebuilt by
MoMa, who installed a modern VDO movement and electronics. Unfortunately,
when I installed it, it behaved quite erratically: it read at least double
correct RPM when major electrical accessories such as lights, blower or turn
blinkers were switched on. And above about 3000 RPM, it completely lost
track and went berserk. WIth no electrical accessories, it did read
approximately correct at idle speeds, but not consistently.

After  discussion with helpful folks at MoMa and MSD, I was able to get it
resolved. MSD sent me several parts to try, free of charge. If these didn't
work, they recommended their tach converter, which costs about $60.
Fortunately, two simple components they sent did the job:

Connect in series between the coil negative and the tach trigger input lead:

1) a 10k ohm, 1/2 watt carbon resistor and
2) a 1N5818 Switching Diode. MSD recommended to try the cathode (striped
end) toward the coil, but to reverse it if this didn't work. Cathode toward
the coil worked

WIth these two parts, my tach works perfectly.

I hope this may be of  help to others with MSD or other types of electronic
ignitions.