Re: [Tigers] Magnesium Wheels

To: michael king <michael.s.king@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Magnesium Wheels
From: "Would U.Believe" <mcdangerous@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 20:33:48 -0400
Michael,

The Porsche 911 air cooled engine was a dry sump engine; the whole case was
made of magnesium.  In all my experience with Porsche, over many years, I
have never, ever heard of an engine case 3rotting2 or breaking randomly.
Certainly, though, magnesium has a much greater tendency to fracture before
some other metals and alloys, but it would take some doing to get that to
happen even to a 40 year old magnesium engine case.  Having said that, I
know the Porsche magnesium engine cases can definitely corrode and become
pitted badly, but only when completely neglected with water sitting on or in
them for a very long time.  The reason Porsche eventually moved to aluminum
engine cases was only because the magnesium cases, which started out with a
2 liter displacement tended to warp increasingly more (and leak oil) as the
engine displacements grew from 2.2, 2.4  to 2.7 liters, increasing the
engines9 heat generation with each step up.  I would never have guessed it,
but aluminum cases are stiffer than the magnesium cases.

Anyway -- back to wheels -- could it be that real magnesium wheels were a
bit porous to begin with, even when new, which is part of the reason why the
old mag wheels needed tubes in the day (beyond the bead design)?