Re: [Tigers] Ignition/Coil/Tach Setup

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ignition/Coil/Tach Setup
From: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 23:13:07 -0400
The stock tach from my Tiger worked very nicely with the Pertronix
ignition in a converted dual-point Mallory distributor.  Of course, the
accuracy of the tach probably left something to be desired after 40
years, so I replaced it with a tach out of a Series IV Alpine which has
a face which matches the other instruments.  I had Tom Hall do the
electronic conversion for about $100 less than what Nisonger wants.
Works beautifully and it gives me a redline (6000 IIRC) somewhat higher
than what you see on the stock Tiger tach which is fine for my engine
with the upgraded cam.  At the same time, I replaced the stock coil with
a Pertronix one and did away with the ballast resistor.  This setup
works very well for a mildly upgraded engine.  If you are using a
higher-performance engine, the electronic conversion offers an input for
solid state ignitions as well, as Theo has noted.  If you want to be
really authentic, Jim Armstrong can offer a supply of original Ford
points and condensers from his collection.  Jim also offers a DIY on
"Filing your own points".

Cheers,

Tod
B382002384