Re: [Tigers] My project update and a few questions

To: <Gyroplanes@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] My project update and a few questions
From: "A. C. Tynes" <v8tracker@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 17:18:55 -0500
Tom,

Even if it is not an original roller lifter block, it can be converted
fairly inexpensively. The holddown kits to use original style lifters are
about $50 new and are available used. I may even have enough spares to make
up a set for you. The lifters are more expensive than non-rollers, but
considering the extra risk with flat tappet break-ins we've been talking
about and the inherent advantages of roller lifters, it seems that rollers
are the only way to go.

There are also linked roller lifters that can be used in place of the
original Ford type lifters without needing the holddowns.

Modeling clay or Play-Do in a zip lock bag laid on your rocker arms will let
you check the clearance with your valve covers, but, of course, the engine
has to be put together first. As a point of reference, I seem to have plenty
of clearance with an E303 cam and Ford B351 roller rockers under a cast
aluminum "Power by Ford" valve cover with no mods to the baffles. The engine
hasn't been started yet.

Good luck with your engine.

A. C. Tynes
New Orleans