Re: [Tigers] "POS" carb

To: Steve Laifman <slaifman@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] "POS" carb
From: Allan Ballard <allanballard@att.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 18:49:41 -0400
Steve,

Sorry if I used less than the best terminology... :)

First let me say the fuel tanks have been professionally redone, and the Holly
is
a new <remanufactured> carb with less than 20 miles on it. I think the fuel
system is
pristine or close to it.

Between the Holly and the intake manifold are two metal spacers, each about
1.2 inch thick.

The fuel pump is a new re-pro from Classic Sunbeam, mounted in the stock
location.

To my knowledge, the fuel line remains in the factory location.

It has a filter just before the carb.

---With the air filter housing off, I simply looked down into the carb.

At the bottom of the carb was a pool of fuel that was bubbling.

A small minnow could swim in such a pool if it was water.

I assume the "bubbling" in reality was "boiling.'

The pool developed in two different circumstances.

First, while the car was parked after a run, and I was enjoying a restaurant
meal. I got
the engine cranked after much effort, but 2 blocks later -- pool of gas again
and that was that. Had to
call triple A.

The repair shop blamed the hot air choke mechanism, and replaced that part.

Shop then said car is ready and indeed it fired up and an ran great...for
about 6 miles.

Then it acted as if it was out of gas and died (had half a tank of gas).

I pushed it off the road, removed the air filter housing and...gas had pooled
again just as before.

After half an hour or so, I got it cranked and cancelled the tow.

Big mistake as it went a block then died again, also with the gas pooling in
the carb.

About that time I remembered cursing remanufactured Holly carbs back in the
day and decided to replace it
with the F4B intake and a 4bbl carb to match...Summit Racing had just what I
need...car is in the shop for an installation next week.

Normally I would do this myself but am recovering from a surgery and must not
use the left arm for a few more weeks...

Allan :
http://s826.photobucket.com/albums/zz184/allanballard/Sunbeam%20Tiger%20Mk1a/
stock

1966 Mk1a Tiger

On Jul 17, 2010, at 6:26 PM, Steve Laifman wrote:

> Allan,
>
> If the carb floats are sticking, or not shutting off when back-pressure is
sensed by the fuel pump, it may starve the engine out, and leave an un-purged
residue of gas.

> I don't exactly understand what you mean by "a pool" of gas "inside the
throat?"

> Steve
>
> With an F4B and quad 465 CFM Holley.
>
> Steve
>
> Steve Laifman
> Editor
> http://TigersUnited.com
>

> Allan Ballard wrote:
>>
>> Fuel pump meaning pumping too much fuel?
>>

>> On Jul 16, 2010, at 9:30 PM, Steve Laifman wrote:
>>
>>> Allan,
>>>
>>> Do you think, maybe, that it is the SU fuel pump causing your symptoms?
>>>
>>> If the ignition were cutting out, my father's solution to everything
electrical was "it must be a loose wire"