[Tigers] First crisis

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] First crisis
From: jliny5@cox.net
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 03:29:30 +0000
Hello Listers

I have now been the proud owner of a 1965 Tiger Mk1 (B9470033) for all of a few
days. It was fully restored about 7 years ago and has about 7000 miles since
then. It is pretty much stock but it does have electronic ignition.

I drove the 175 miles home to Alexandriaan VA on Sat. It was a beautiful drive.
On Sunday eve I took it for a short spin and it ran perfectly.  I turned off
the car to go into the house. I came back out a few minutes later to pull the
car into the garage. When I tried to start it the engine would not turnover,
but I did hear a whirring/grinding noise.

At this point I let it sit for the night. This morning I tried and it started
first try. This afternoon it started again after sitting all day. I stalled it
backing out and when I went to restart I again got the whirring/ grinding noise
that sounds like the starter trying to engage.

I checked the charge on the battery...it's fine. I have not been able to check
starter very well due to its location.

I will be the first to admit I am not a master mechanic but it sure sounds like
the starter, but why does the car start after sitting for sevrral hours.

I apologize for the long email. Any thoughts or recommended courses of action.

Thanks.

Jim Lindner