Re: [Tigers] First crisis

To: <jliny5@cox.net>, <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] First crisis
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 06:37:02 -0400
Jim
        Heat is causing the starter to not engage properly; whether a
rebuild is required is difficult to say.

Original Ford starter motor # is C2OZ-11002-A

        I don't recommend you exchange this starter for a new one, if you
think it needs to be replaced, until the new one is in place and works.   I
have talked to a few Tiger owners who exchanged their starter, the new
starter did not fit and the original starter was now gone.  I prefer to keep
any Tiger part because it is your only clue to what might be a special
configuration made specifically for the Tiger engine.

        I recommend finding someone who will rebuild your starter.  It is
very possible it only needs to be cleaned and lubed to get it to engage.   I
never had that problem on my Tiger but I had my starter rebuilt after it
started to turn slower on cold and hot start.   Never had a problem since
then and never a hot start problem.  New bushings and brushes can do wonders
for a tired starter.

A heat shield for the starter can't hurt either, it depends on your headers
and the heat generated.

Ron Fraser