Re: [Tigers] hardtops

To: 'Tiger List' <Tigers@autox.team.net>, "Franchi, David or Gary"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] hardtops
From: Steve Laifman <slaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 17:35:12 -0800
The dealers, at least in Los Angeles, received their stock from the
Rootes Central Headquarters on West Pico Blvd. in downtown Los Angeles,
CA.  Many contributors to the Racing leaning parts were local.

The first was Carroll Shelby's operation near LAX. At a later date,
Hollywood Sports Cars, under the guidance of Doane Spencer took over
factory race operations as well as LAT option development. It is
certainly possible that prototype equipment was installed at this
Hollywood location, including outfitting of Larry Reed's and Lew
Spencer's race cars (even though both of them were dealers as well). Ken
Miles was a race driver of Alpines for Lew Spencer, then both joined
Carroll Shelby's race team. This information has been verified by era
participants. At that time, your Editor knew them all, but was more into
Jaguar, Porsche, and Morgan vehicles.

The Hard tops were straight from Rootes/England all painted black. The
color can be any Rootes Color (or whatever you wanted), "at slightly
higher cost!"  This way many more could be sold from less stock in hand.
http://www.tigersunited.com/resources/parts_service/origparts.asp

Although these were NOT LAT options, they were dealer sold parts.
http://www.tigersunited.com/resources/Dealer_Accessories/DealerAccessCat.asp

Thanks to David and Gary Franchi fine reproduction of the original
brochure (in two down loadable versions.

Lot's of old information from older owner's of even older cars!

/Steve Laifman/

/Editor - /*/TigersUnited.com/* <http://www.tigersunited.com>