Re: [Tigers] garage floor coatings

To: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] garage floor coatings
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 20:50:58 -0300
Hi Tom:

You asked:

"Not trying to get off the subject but..., just how much does it cost to
heat
a garage in these cold climates??? I've been 40 years in So. Cal. where may
be it gets to the high 30's  (nights) and typically 58-64 (days) during our
short winters and the cost would still seem astronomical. I would think in a
cold climate you would have to pre-heat before you could even use the room
(further increasing the cost)."

So far you haven't had a lot of specific response. Therefore, although it is
likely there is no comparison possible between the weather in SoCal and Nova
Scotia, I have a 1500 sq ft garage on two floors with a "man cave" upstairs.
Fully insulated all around and with 2" of rigid foam under the concrete
floor and covered with 6 mil plastic vapor barrier, its heated with a
propane-fired hot air furnace. I keep it idling along at about 45F when I'm
not in there, with the hot air quickly bringing the place up to 68-70F in
about 10 minutes after I get through the door. The furnace has a completely
isolated firebox, fed by outside air to burn the gas, and exhausted directly
out through a chimney pipe. Its perfect for a garage full of combustible
chemicals, as you could pour gasoline over it (not recommended!)and it
wouldn't/couldn't catch fire.

Here in Nova Scotia liquid propane is sold by the liter at approx 98c per,
for a total average cost per year of ~$1750.

So what DOES it cost in SoCal?

Dave